The property dates back to the early 1800’s and was almost certainly one of the first buildings in this north end of the Portobello Road. In the early 17th Century this area was yet to be developed and so the property remained incomplete and came to be knows as ‘The Folly’. The Hammersmith and City railway was to change all of that dramatically and beyond 1864 a further phase of construction led to the formation of the Mews as stabling, coach house and grooms’ quarters. What we see today in this enchanting private mews is a lively mixture of residential apartments and commercial suites.
The current owners acquired the mews many decades ago in a dilapidated state. The ongoing and sympathetic restoration has been understated , enhancing the charismatic appeal of this hidden treasure. There is vehicular access for a small car and although it sits behind enigmatic gates in the most well-known market in the world, the occupants enjoy uniquely the calm hush of their own private courtyard.